Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chris Rock is my favorite comedian

My dad was an early adopter of cable: we had it in the early 80s.
My mother also got cable fairly early, and I remember watching Comedy Central at her house as a pre-teen. Back then Comedy Central was mostly clips of stand up. No South Park, Daily Show, none of that. I loved Margaret Cho and I was even a big Ellen Degeneres fan back in the day. She has a good self-deprecating style of stand up.

Different comedians have different strengths, Dave Chappelle can distil larger bits of information into a soundbite, Katt Williams is an amazing physical comedian. Chris Rock does some of the best things that comedy can do: make us look in the mirror.

I can't tell a good joke to save my life though..

Yesterday I was playing around with Garageband making beats out of the pre-made loops that came with my computer. Which was fun and all until I asked myself the question "what do I want to say with this?"

I didn't have the slightest idea. Hopefully I'll figure it out.

1 comment:

Wendell said...

Yes! Early Comedy Central was great--I really liked watching all that stand-up. Short Attention Span Theater was my favorite stand-up clip show. I still thought it was relatively spontaneous, and then I saw Chappelle's Black hostages joke for the second time in a different setting, but delivered almost the same and I laughed just as hard. He let me down easy, and then I began to appreciate it as a pre-written form.