Thursday, February 12, 2009

Confession

I've barely practiced in the last month.
In early January I did a gig with Pandelis Karayorgis, Dave Rempis, and Luther Gray. The gig was recorded, two sets.
I got my copies in the mail, listened to the first set, and was pretty disappointed in myself.
Ever since, I've been in a bit of a limbo.
Pandelis emailed me recently and asked me if I wanted to proceed on mixing with the project. I told him that I didn't like the way I sounded at all on the first disc, but that I'd listen to the 2nd disc and let him know.

I'm only four minutes in, but at least from my angle, it's a lot better. My contribution is stronger and I do feel like I can hear some sort of connection between myself and the other players.

This quartet is without bass, and Pandelis picks up the slack. But there's a sort of sparseness, a vulnerableness, that's there.

Before I put this disc in today, I did practice. And it was good practicing (I think anyway).

I've got to get back to practicing daily, because this is what I do. I should do it.

No comments: